Fertility issues are common around the world today. In the UK, approximately 1 in 6 couples have trouble conceiving. This equates to around 3.5 million people. IVF is often recommended as a treatment for those who struggle with fertility, when other therapeutic options are unsuccessful. However, though IVF has a high success rate of around 45-54% after 3 full cycles, there’s still a significant chance that IVF may not work. Couples are increasingly turning to natural solutions to assist with these fertility concerns, ranging from Acupuncture and IVF, to mycotherapy.
How Acupuncture Helps with IVF
Research indicates that acupuncture treatments conducted before and after IUI and the transference of embryos may significantly increase pregnancy rates. Clinicians believe that acupuncture is effective because it increases blood flow to the uterus, while also regulating hormone levels, improving sperm counts in males, and reducing stress.
Acupuncture is a useful component throughout fertility treatments and pregnancy to treat a range of conditions that may lead to pregnancy issues. Experts believe that acupuncture can improve fertility health, by:
- Boosting IVF success through improving diminished ovarian reserves
- Normalizing menstrual cycles and hormones
- Increasing successful birth chance by improving body wellbeing
- Improving pregnancy outcomes after pregnancy loss
- Increasing blood flow to the ovaries and uterus to improve chances of implantation
- Returning ovulation following the effects of PCOS.
A meta-analysis published in the British Medicine Journal reveals that acupuncture protocols can improve chances of success in IVF treatment by 65%.
Natural Support for IVF Treatment
Acupuncture, administered correctly, is a valuable tool to augment the effects of IVF and increase the chances of pregnancy. However, various factors are essential to the potential of acupuncture treatment, including the selection of the correct acupuncture points, the timing of the treatments, and the use of the right acupuncture modalities.
Acupuncture is also not the only natural solution that may offer benefits for fertility. Mycotherapy, or medicinal mushrooms, offer a valuable way to enhance the performance of IVF in people struggling with fertility. Indeed, mushrooms can assist in various ways to improve pregnancy chances.
Some of the most effective mushrooms for fertility include:
- Cordyceps mushrooms: These mushrooms have been used for centuries to improve the fertility of men and women. They increase levels of testosterone in men, and progesterone in women, as well as supporting lung and kidney behaviour. Cordyceps mushrooms can improve energy levels, enhance cardiovascular strength, and more.
- Chaga mushrooms: Chaga is a potent source of antioxidants, supporting cellular function and healthy DNA. The Chaga mushroom is also beneficial in balancing sugar and blood cholesterol, which could protect mothers against gestational diabetes. Change can support the microbiome and metabolism of hormones, specifically the androgens often present in women with PCOS.
- Reishi mushrooms: Known around the world for its healing abilities, Reishi is a medicinal mushroom that can help to calm and balance the nervous system, supports healthy sleep and encourages wellbeing. This natural product may also reduce pelvic inflammation when administered regularly. These mushrooms could be helpful in reducing the discomfort caused by uterine fibroids, endometriosis and more.
- Shiitake mushrooms: These mushrooms are supportive to both overall health, and cardiovascular performance. In fact, shiitake can reduce blood pressure and support healthy circulation around the reproductive system. Shiitake can also support and strengthen the immune system, supporting the body in managing stress and improving sexual function. Shiitake can also reduce the growth of Candida albicans.
- Maitake: Maitake mushrooms contain antioxidants and immune-enhancing compounds. The dried mushroom can include significant amounts of Vitamin D, which is crucial for the regulation of ovulation.
Natural Solutions for Fertility
Acupuncture and IVF are just one combination of treatments that may assist with fertility and improve the chances of successful reproduction. Studies are increasingly revealing that natural solutions to support IVF treatment can have a significant impact on the outcome of various efforts intended to promote reproduction, and healthy sexual performance.
Combining mycotherapy, acupuncture, and IVF could be the key to achieving the best possible chances of successful implantation. Mycotherapy can improve the overall health of the body, with supplemental mushrooms that support the reproductive system. Acupuncture could be effective at improving blood flow, and moving the nutrients delivered by mushrooms around the body.
The key to success with this natural approach is ensuring that the right balance of treatment is available, from the correct supplements, to the most effective acupuncture timed therapies.